Project - Vehicle Design

Saturday 15 December 2018
Another part of my project I've been working on is a vehicle design. I started working on this part after working on my environment for a while, as I found it better to think about the vehicles purpose and function if I had a world to place it in. This led me to the decision to design a people-powered vehicle, as it was set in an eco-city and it wouldn't use any fuel. It would be use for transporting small amounts of cargo around the bio-domes that I would be designing in my environment. I wanted something that looked like it could be put together by hand, and that communicated its function through the design.

I began my research by looking at some bikes, focusing on finding interesting shapes and unconventional designs.






I then started scribbling some thumbnails, some of which are below. I quickly noticed that these all seemed rigid and alike. I think because I was telling myself, "draw a bike", I was struggling to break free from the idea I already had of a bike in my head.




Although I did like some of the ideas I decided to take a new approach. I started experimenting in an application called Alchemy, recommended by one of my tutors. Alchemy allowed me to scribble and sketch without worrying about what the bike should look like.



I saved anything I made that had an interesting shape, then took any of the ones I thought could make a potential vehicle and drew on top of them.
 

I then combine the shapes I like into designs. At this stage I thought about how I could communicate the functions of the bike through it's design. I wanted a canopy, as it hinted at its use in several different 'climates', therefore in the world it would be used between bio-domes. I added a back trunk to show that it would be used for cargo. I used bent poles and chunky wheels that wouldn't normally be used for bikes to show that it may have been put together from materials left over from other vehicles. I went with the design below as I felt it covered those points, and I also felt it had a strong and easily recognizable silhouette.

I then done a quick 3D mock-up of the bike, mainly to help with my perspective when it came to my final drawing. I also wanted to check that the forms translated well to a 3D object. As someone who is new to the world of concept art I actually found this step really valuable.


I then traced the main forms to capture the proportion and perspective I wanted.


I then used this image to develop my final line work which would later be rendered for my final concept sheet. I aimed to keep it clean and simple, with small amounts of detail to hint at the surface texture. I chose a 3/4 perspective view of the front and back as these gave a good image of the vehicle. I also included a close-up of the back to show some of the forms that were missing from the other two perspectives. Overall I was satisfied with the design and felt like I got what I had aimed to achieve.





Post Comment
Post a Comment