Week 1 - Warming Up

Thursday 13 September 2018


A screen full of lines and circles may not seem like the most interesting way to leave a blank page after a drawing session, but this is what my first class in digital concept design asked for. Despite what may look like a mess, I came to realise that exercises like this can give great insight into your drawing habits and highlight where you need to improve.

week1-spiralthings

Circles and the loop shapes above (the correct name I do not know) were particularly useful for warming up and I have since started doing them before every drawing session. Simple things such as keeping up the same size or direction proved to be quite difficult and made it clearer to me where I had to spend time to improve. I struggled particularly in drawing the circles when I approached them from a different direction, meaning I have to practice using different angles and strokes when drawing.
lines
An easy way to visualise how accurate linework is turns out to be just drawing straight lines. Trying to match the length of them all wasn't as easy as I thought, but it's a great way to quickly look at where I need to improve.

week1-lines
We finished up by creating some 3D boxes and cylinders using lines - or rather, the idea of 3D shapes. This showed me how important accurate lines are, as although they are simple when used together they can quickly create complex shapes.

I plan to use a lot of these exercises as warm ups for drawing in future, as I can see how they help me and I love the idea of quick visual feedback to see if I'm improving or not.
Post Comment
Post a Comment