Week 1 - Creating a Basemesh

Friday 14 September 2018
On my first day of class I was thrown right in to working in ZBrush, a program I had never used before but heard a lot about. It did take me a while to grasp the controls and UI, but after that I found I quite enjoyed the programme. After some practice we were tasked in creating a base mesh using ZBrush.

A base mesh is useful to have as it cuts down on the time spent modelling. When creating a character, you can start working from the base mesh straight away which already gives you a good idea of size, proportion and anatomy without having to figure that out first. As I hadn't done this before, I decided to start with a bipedal basemesh, focusing on realistic proportions and anatomy.



ZBrush is  a 3D sculpting programme, and I find it great for creating organic shapes or brainstorming ideas quickly in 3D. To create my basemesh I first started with a sphere and used the move and standard brushes to make a rough shape. I then used brushes such as clay build up, smooth and snake hook to refine it further. At this point my base mesh had a lot of active points, in the millions, so I used zremesher to take it back to a low resolution.

Although I can see a lot of inaccuracies at this stage I am happy with what I have been able to achieve in ZBrush in such a short time.
Post Comment
Post a Comment