Week 3 - Subdivision Meshflow

Friday 28 September 2018
This week we were beginning to focus more on topology. We were given some meshes to recreate within Maya, making sure we ended up with the same topology.

Although we learned a few techniques in class, I tried my best to recreate them using what I knew before looking elsewhere for help. Forcing myself to do this helped get me in the frame of mind I needed for modelling, and helped me realise different ways I am able to utilize the tools I know in maya.


Above are the meshes we were to recreate, and below is my attempt at them. I created A by subdividing and then smoothing a cube. B was done by adding edge loops to a cylinder and smoothing it. Then I subdivided and smoothed another cube, cut off the top of it and flattened it. I then cut off the top of the cylinder and then joined the flattened top of the cube on top. During this step I had to make sure I was accurate so it was symmetrical, and that they both had the same number of edges. I made C by subdividing and smoothing a cube, but this time I added more edge loops near the top to keep it flattened. I used a duplicate of mesh B to create mesh D by simply adding more mesh loops and then extruding some faces.


The exercise made me really think about how to use different tools and techniques in Maya, and will help me in future when trying to get specific or accurate topology.
Post Comment
Post a Comment