Week2 - Perspective

Thursday 20 September 2018

Week2-Perspective2.gif

This week we started with some perspective, one of those basic parts of drawing that I can often neglect. I'm the first to admit that the most time I've spent drawing with proper perspective lines was in higher graphic communication, so I could really use the practice.
Class started with some simple one point perspective, which was then made more challenging by tilting the horizon line. Although it was just a small change I had to think a lot more about whether what I was drawing was accurate or not.

Week2-Perspective1

Moving on to some two point perspective I started with some simple box shapes, and then challenged myself by cutting shapes into them. I also moved the horizon line higher to see how it affected what I drew.
Week2-Perspective.gif

I found three point perspective the toughest exercise to do. Without my guidelines set up accurately it was easy for any shapes to begin looking unnatural. I moved my third vanishing point quite high for the example above, but looking back I think it should have been even higher as some of the boxes don't look quite right.

I found the perspective class useful as I don't always spend a lot of time on the fundamentals, instead splitting my time into practicing life and gesture drawing, or drawing personal things for fun. I can see it's something I need to change and I will be incorporating perspective into my drawings, especially environments as I tend to struggle with them the most.
Post Comment
Post a Comment