Week 6 - More Texture Painting

Friday 19 October 2018
After being introduced to substance painter in class I decided I wanted to spend some more time learning how to use it at home. I watched a brilliant video by Magdalena Dadela where she showed her skin painting process, and I decided to apply it to one of the models in class.

1

Luckily I had already baked this in class, so I was able to jump straight in to painting. I started with the smart skin material as a base. I decided to go for a weathered look for the skin, so I wanted lots of texture from age and sun damage. I started by building up a few layers using a red fill, masking the layer and painting to start building up some colour. Doing it this way made it easy for me to go back and change the hue or opacity at any time without affecting the rest of the skin.

2

I then used the curvature map to start bringing out some of the detail in the model. This was again by using a fill layer in red, but this time I masked with the curvature map. I then inverted the map so the depth looked correct. After this I decreased the layer opacity and masked out some of the detail so the lines appeared more natural.

3

At this point I had added in some blue and yellow discolouration, and also added a little more red on the lips as they looked too washed out.

4

I experimented again with the opacity of the some of the layers. I wanted the skin to look rough and weathered without overdoing the texture, so I done a lot of experimenting before moving on.

5

After I was happy with the base of the skin I began to add in details such as veins, broken capillaries and sun spots, using references to help me. I done all this again on seperate layers using fills and masks, giving me the flexibility to go back and adjust different things when needed.

6

Lastly I painted in the stubble. I left this until last as facial hair technically isn't a part of the skin in real life and I wanted to make sure I had the base right.

7

I'm really happy with how much I managed to learn from one tutorial and I'm pretty excited to see what else I can do with substance painter.
Post Comment
Post a Comment