Week 7 - Group Task

Wednesday 24 October 2018
This was our feedback week for uni, which means there were only optional classes on throughout the week. My 3D class held an event where we were put into teams to create a character together, which would be achieved by each person modelling one aspect of the character. It was split up into head, torso, legs, accessories etc. This was to be done somewhat blindly, just to see what the character would look like at the end. We had four hours to do this. I decided to model a shield for the character.


I started off my doing some research to find references. I mostly looked at stylised shields and spiderwebs, after deciding to do a spooky design for halloween. Below are some examples/


I then quickly made a base mesh in Maya, which I took into ZBrush to sculpt on. I focused on the web detailing here alone with some wear on the shield. I saved this as my high poly model. 


The next step was to retopologize this in Maya. I focused on using as little polygons as I could, as the idea was to have this 'game ready', so I wanted it to be as efficient as possible.


Next I had to UV map the mesh in order to bke and texture it. As I done in my previous weekly tasks I tried to make use of the whole texture space whilst maintaining proportions between the UV's. I can definitely see errors in my UV's looking back on them just now, but due to the 4 hour deadline at the time I missed it in my hurry to get on to the final stage. A mistake I've learned not to make again.


The final stage was baking and texturing the asset. I went with a dark black base for the shield with a light metal for the web detail to make it stand out. I did run out of time in this stage, but I aimed to add detail to the worn areas and add some dirt to the surface. 


Overall I was pretty pleased what I was able to create in four hours being so new to these programmes. It helped me a lot working so tightly between the different programmes, and although I ran into a few problems I managed to troubleshoot them and will know how to tackle them in future.









Post Comment
Post a Comment