Weekly Task 4

Thursday 4 October 2018
 This week we had been looking at shape and form, which led to us creating a shape language sheet using shapes derived from the following images.


When I first started the task I used a hard brush and focused on clean lines, but I quickly realised this was the wrong way to work as I was spending too much time refining the shapes instead of just being messy and getting ideas down on the page. I switched to a rougher, textured brush and just started sketching down quick ideas from shapes in the image. Accuracy wasn't my aim, I just wanted to get some silhouettes down to see if anything jumped out to me.



What I produced is far from a perfect sheet of amazing shapes, but there are a few ideas here that I think could be built upon. I like the transition from a hard, straight line into a rounded curve in 9, I think the contrast between a hard and soft shape can make things pop. I also liked the organic look of 4, both the solid shape and the negative space.


The next part of the task was to lightly shade in a sheet of shapes we had been given. At first when I began this task I approached it from the wrong way, trying to fit imagined shapes into the boundaries of the box. This felt counter-productive so instead I took a step back and decided to go with the first silhouette I could really see. Unsurprisingly it seems to have been inspired by the amount of animal photography I look at. This approach worked out better for me as I felt like I was working with the shapes rather than fighting against them.
Post Comment
Post a Comment